Coteau Books is looking for a Marketing Manager
Coteau Books is a literary book publisher and winner of three Governor-General’s Awards for fiction, poetry and children’s literature. We are located in Regina and have been publishing Prairie writing for over 40 years. Many of our authors have been recognized for their talents and contributions to Canadian literature and we have a reputation for well-written, well produced books.
We are looking for someone to to join our small but irrepressible team who is in love with Canadian literature and is interested in championing new voices.
As a candidate you are a graduate of a publishing program at the college or university level or have relevant experience and are determined to use your explosive marketing talent and our small budgets to champion great Canadian writing.
You are an effective communicator who is digitally literate and comfortable with an array of digital tools, including back-end website maintenance, and are comfortable swimming in the social media pool. You have design experience – InDesign knowledge is an asset.
You can organize successful events that have attracted audiences to happenings and you know how to stir up interest with targeted social media posts.
You are familiar with the idea of metadata.
You are willing to work in an environment of high expectations and shifting schedules.
The following is a list of specific tasks associated with the job of Marketing Manager:
The Marketing Manager will be responsible for the marketing/promotion campaigns for Coteau titles, including but not limited to:
- organization of book launches, readings and author tours where appropriate
- arrangement of media interviews
- distribution of review copies to targeted lists of reviewers
- catalogue table of contents and copy generation, input into catalogue design, proofing of catalogue copy, and design of catalogue ads
- creation of promotional support materials, input into their design and production, proofing of copy, and supervision of their distribution
- generation and/or supervision of media releases and other title-based media and supervision of their distribution
- planning and supervision of any Coteau advertising campaigns: print, online, and in-person opportunities
- development and maintenance of good relationships and regular contact
with all forms of book-publishing and other media in Canada and the U.S.
- responding to requests for review copies and information on Coteau Book
publications from the public, the media and the book industry
- dealing with all award and festival submissions
- The Marketing Manager will generate all online marketing activities for Coteau, including updating marketing, event, and review information on the website, creating and distributing a regular electronic newsletter, undertaking any email campaigns and planning, constructing and delivering any social networking activities for Coteau and its books. This will include working with authors in the undertaking of their social networking activities to support their books
- The Marketing Manager will consult on Coteau’s general media relations and will undertake Coteau’s non-book-related branding efforts
- The Marketing Manager will take part in conferences and other events to promote Coteau titles where appropriate
- The Marketing Manager will be responsible for writing marketing grants for national and regional funding agencies when the opportunity arises for participation in conferences, international book fairs, audiobooks, and digitial strategy
- The Marketing Manager will be responsible for working with the Publisher in drafting Coteau’s marketing budgets, and for managing the marketing budgets once they are approved
- The Marketing Manager will organize Coteau's participation in sales conferences, including preparation of sales kit materials and assume responsibility for making title presentations to all appropriate sales forces and groups
- The Marketing Manager will assist in analyzing market trends in the book industry and provide input into the construction of its publishing seasons and schedules
- Participating on the Production Committee, the Marketing Manager will be responsible for the generation of Advanced Title Information forms and will provide input into decisions regarding publishing specifications such as book formats, prices, print runs, reprints and others as requested
- The Marketing Manager will be responsible for creation and maintenance of metadata files for Coteau’s books, and monitoring and recording of Coteau Books’ ebooks in various online bookstores
- The Marketing Manager will assist in managing Coteau’s relationship with its contracted sales forces, provide such information and materials as requested by the sales forces, and will obtain and analyze sales data on Coteau titles. To that end, the Marketing Manager will also monitor the stock of Coteau’s books to ensure timely reprints, and keep distributors aware of inventory, availability of titles and out of print status
- The Marketing Manager will generate quarterly reports on marketing activities past and future, for presentation to Coteau Board meetings
- The Marketing Manager will work together with other staff to assist in the development of open communications within the Coteau office and to the Board of Directors and maintain acceptable standards of service and performance
- The Marketing Manager ensure that all files – paper and electronic – and all materials that belong to Coteau Books are saved and secured in a reasonable and safe manner, and will be responsible for some office procedures, shipping & receiving and filing, and receptionist duties from time to time
Please send your resume to email@example.com by Friday, Oct. 12, 2018.